Re: Spam resistent guestbook ?

At 07:54 PM 9/25/2006, Craig Sanders wrote:

3. randomise the name of the main input field, and have it change every
day (or every few hours). e.g. instead of hard-coding the field name,
have the CGI script fetch the current name of the field from a text
file. the script can then generate the form with the random field name
AND know which field name to get the user-submitted post from.

Hey that's a clever one Craig. I'm the author of some simple OS web apps including a guestbook and spam is a #(*&%# pita. But I like this.

Hmm, if I was a hacker jerk maybe I'd make the posting positional and then disregard field name entirely. Of course you could also randomize the sequence of the fields, but spammers don't even care about format, they just want search engines to index their crapola afaik.

Marty

--
Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Free Database Search App: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml