Re: LVM2 and pvcreate

Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Just to verify before I start digging deeper....
>
> Will pvcreate destroy the filesystem?
>
> If yes, is there a way to convert an existing device/filesystem
> to a LVM system (i.e. without loosing data)?

The way to do it is to mount a new disk with LVM, and then copy all your
files to it, modify your fstab (on the new disk) and reboot.

Take care that Linux can't boot on a LVM disk, so you will need to make
either a / or a /boot away from your LVM disk. What I always do is a
RAID1 device for / (about 800 megs), and /usr, /tmp, /var, /root and
/home using LVM over a second RAID1 device (in software).

Thomas