Re: Spamassassin & Investor Spam

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 12:24:09PM +0800, GPLHost (thomas) wrote:
> >> Has anyone got any decent rules that catch all this investor spam?

investor spammers are very persistent. you have to train the bayesian
filters in spamassassin AND you have to create custom local SA rules
to block the phrases and mis-spellings they frequently use. postfix
body_checks rules are good too - reject as much as possible at smtp
time, trap the rest with SA.

i can't post any of my investor spam rules here because it wouldn't get
past my postfix filters, but you can find many useful anti-spam regexps
at http://taz.net.au/Mail/

note: i do not have time to answer any questions about them. if you
don't understand them, then don't use them.

they work fine for my needs on my home system. use at your own risk. as
with any other anti-spam rules you find on the net, using them blindly
without understanding what they do and how is extremely foolish.

> >> I'm getting terribly sick of all of it going to the debian mailing
> >> lists
>
> I think that Debian should switch from using Mailman to MLMMJ which is
> a lot more powerful.

it's not the list admin software that's at fault. it's the fact that
very little work is done on maintaining anti-spam rules on debian's
mail servers.

> With it comes moderation and "subonlypost" function

mailman does that too. the debian list administrators have chosen to
make the list open for posting by anyone. whether this is a good idea or
not is debatable - there are good arguments both for and against.

> that remove any possibility for spam to go by the list.

bullshit. no anti-spam method(*) is 100% effective. better than 99.5% yes.
100% no. and no anti-spam method has no false-positives either.

(*) except for switching off the mail server of course.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)