Re: More sorbs blacklisting

On 07.08.06 03:32, Pigeon wrote:
> Have now managed to get in touch with someone more clued-up in my
> ISP's support staff and have got an answer which makes sense:
>
> > From our point of view, you receive a static IP address because
> > when you sign up for our service, you will be given an IP address
> > and will use that IP address for the length of your service with
> > us, assuming no changes such as requesting an IP block.

Are their systems configured to assign always this one IP to you and assign
it only to you? If so, it's static. If not, it's dynamic.

We have many clients with assigned dynamic IP addresses. They often receive
the same IP when they re-connect, but the IP may change.
Also, we have many clients we assigned one IP to them and they (and only
they) will get the IP, until status changes.

Your ISP's answer indicates that you really have static IP, but it doesn't
clearly say that. I would ask them for clearer explanation.

> > SORBS, on the other hand, regard such IP addresses as dynamic
> > because if you were to leave us, the IP address would become
> > available for use by another customer.

no, they do not.

> > There is nothing we can do to change this, our network team has
> > contacted SORBS and others to discuss the situation, but at this
> > moment in time, there continues to be a difference in
> > classification of static.
>
> So there we have it... I have a static IP but SORBS call it dynamic
> because another customer could get it if I left...
>
> It would be nice to be able to get an IP assigned to me for life, that
> I could take to a different ISP if I decided to switch...

It seems that your ISP is incompetent either to understand what "statically
assigned" means, or to explain this to you and the SORBS...
A day without sunshine is like, night.