Re: NEVER USE SORBS

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Craig Sanders wrote:

http://www.us.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?63.193.144.218 (captcha required)

 Dynamic IP Space (LAN, Cable, DSL & Dial Ups)
Netblock:	63.193.144.0/21 (63.193.144.0-63.193.151.255)
Record Created:	Mon Jul 3 13:53:03 2006 GMT
Record Updated:	Thu Jul 20 03:38:13 2006 GMT
Additional Information:	This netblock was removed/delisted, future
listings will supersede this entry.
<green>Currently inactive and not flagged to be published in DNS.</green>

how is this proof that sorbs 'throws the baby out with the bathwater'?

The added a /21 of static IPs probably because some Windows Loser doesn't know how to keep their machine virus free.

it looks like a netblock that SORBS has de-listed.

Yes. After two weeks when it should never have been listed in the first place.

It two weeks for them to refuse my delisting request, then accept my
upstreams request for delisting.  No matter what proof of a static IP
an end user provides besides changing rDNS, SORBS ignores it.  You
need an AS number for them to accept an IP as static, if it doesn't
meet their requirements.

yes, precisely so.  they state this quite clearly on their web page.

and for good reason. spammers lie. regularly and repeatedly. why
should SORBS believe some end user who doesn't even own the IP address
concerned? if it really isn't a dynamic IP address then the actual owner
can contact SORBS and have it de-listed.

If My IP was Spamming or was dynamic, It would be perfectly acceptable for SORBS to list it or have difficult delisting requirements. However, my IP is neither. I pay considerably more that my upstreams standard offering for the privileges and benefits of a static IP. (almost 4 times as much)

I'm pleased the new buyer of my upstream ISP was able to get me delisted from SORBS. It shouldn't take two weeks.

if you want to do stupid cache-busting things then you have only
yourself to blame for the consequences. e.g. if you get listed in the
SORBS DUL and find it difficult to get de-listed because of your TTL
then you have only yourself to blame.

My upstream controls the TTL setting for my rDNS. Please contact them if it is busting your cache.

SORBS lists three criteria to get delisted.

a) change your pointer record to meet their criteria for name.
b) change the TTL on your PTR record to 43200 or higher.
c) be contacted by the RIR for the IP space and be told the IP space is static.

I eventually set my webserver (where I have have control of rDNS) as a
smarthost because  SORBS didn't like my upstreams naming convention.

well then, you finally figured out how to get mail working correctly
from a dynamic IP address - use a smarthost. preferably one under your
own control.

Who said anything about a dynamic IP address?  My IP is static.
It worked just fine for eight years before SORBS listing it. Next time my colo server goes down, the relay setting gets removed and I'll stop relaying thru my colo.

One even bounced mail to postmaster.

so? you say that as if there's something wrong in doing that.

This ISP said to contact the postmaster in their bounce message.

i have
several exceptions to my anti-spam rules for my abuse@ and postmaster@
addresses, but i'm no more willing to receive spam/viruses on those
addresses than i am on any other address. and those addresses get
spammed at least as often as my other addresses - it's not like spammers
make any effort to avoid spamming them...quite the contrary. they seem
to like spamming them, possibly because they are required (postmaster@)
or strongly recommended (abuse@) addresses for EVERY domain.

Any IP that spams my postmaster accounts will quickly get a 5xx added to my postfix helo_access.map

Greylisting, SPF, relays.ordb.org, lists.dsbl.org, sbl-xbl.spamhouse.org
and my short blacklist. leaves me very little spam.

Most of the spam I receive either comes thru the debian.org listserv or my email address was scraped from the archive.

If it was easier to get delisted, SORBS DUHL might be OK, but as is,
It's a royal pain in the u-know-where to get off their list when you
don't belong there.

SORBS DUL is a list of dynamic IP addresses.

SORBS DUHL is a list of both dynamic and static IP addresses. Best avoid using it to reject outright.

it should not be
particularly easy to get de-listed, and certainly not because of a
request by the end user.

I provided SORBS with a long list of domains for which my IP is the MX and NS. Along with a netcraft report showing a linux server running apache for several years at my IP. All to no avail.

SORBS is the only company where a reasoned email with facts was ignored.
Every other time I've had a problem. An email or phone call with the correct information reaching the right person quickly takes care of it. Even the ISP who rejected my mail to postmaster, whitelisted my IP after being contacted thru alternative channels.

SORBS bites off more than they can chew and does not respect other members of the community.

If you are not the RIR for the IP space with an AS number, don't bother contacting SORBS. Have your upstream contact them.

Steve