Re: NEVER USE SORBS

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 02:35:59PM +0200, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
> I'm reading this millions of posts about sorbs and don't understand one
> thing.
> How do they earn money ? What's their profit ? What for ?

This thread and some other recent threads tend to be full of disinformation
about sorbs. There have been at least these incorrect claims:

a) Sorbs blocks email (except mail sent to them maybe).
b) Sorbs claims someone is a spammer by listing in DUHL.
c) Sorbs lists IP addresses for low TTL values.
d) Sorbs is breaking the law.
e) Sorbs breaks it's own listing policy.
f) Sorbs DUHL delisting requires payment.
g) Sorbs refuses to delist according to their policy.
h) Sorbs does not delist anyone for any reason.

None of these are true (at least no one making these claims has bothered to
provide evidence).

In reality various Sorbs lists are very effective at blocking spam and they
have only fairly limited false positives (though some do exist). Sorbs is
free to use and does not collect money from even delistings. Unfortunately
there are a lot of people who really really hate Sorbs and would even be
willing to do drastic measures (like blocking a lot of legitimate mail) just
to make their point. Spam blocking tends to create heated arguments.

Especially for everyone "new" who is curious I suggest reading these posts
with healthy criticism. Sadly not everything written to debian-isp is true.

Note: I am not affiliated with Sorbs, but I use DUHL personally and my
$DAYJOB includes postmaster-duties.