Re: Hardware recommendations for Debian server

Craig Sanders ha scritto:

my preference is almost always for a clone PC - you get a lot more for

Thanks everyone for the replies, also private ones.

I think I'm mostly oriented towards the clone solution now, but I'll also have a look at Dell and SuperMicro stuff that has been suggested.

if you want raid-5 rather than raid-1, then go for hardware raid with a
large (>64MB) non-volatile cache. software raid-5 is slow. e.g. adaptec

Storage is very important to us, but we already have some plans for that, independent from the server machine choice (we'll use a couple of internal PCI/PCI-X RAID controllers and some external storage subsystem).

--
01