Re: Debian modules

Ian Zimmerman said on Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:54:36PM -0700:
> Mark> ifrename handles this more cleanly than depending upon module
> Mark> order.
>
> OK, I didn't know about ifrename, thanks.  Still, I don't know if it's
> really cleaner.  I don't remember the MAC addresses of my cards, but
> I do remember their brands :-)

What if you have more than one of the same brand?

In any case, I think that depending on configuration files that are able
to be checked into CVS to control which device is eth0 and which device
is eth1 is "cleaner", for some value of cleaner, than depending on
module load order, even if you load them from /etc/modules.  After all,
you're getting eth device allocation as a side effect of the load order
anyway.

Then again, I run a reasonably large cluster of Debian boxes using the
default Debian kernel (well, the one from backports.org to be fair) with
no problem, so I'm not really one to complain about spurious modules
being loaded.  I _like_ hotplug and friends doing all the work.  Saves
me a lot of time and trouble.