Re: we were attacked

On 2006-04-07 danilo lujambio wrote:
> in one of our servers with Sarge we are suffering an attack wich put a
> perl script and two executables in /tmp with owner www-data.
> We couldn't find any data in messages , syslog, apache.log which help
> us. We have a shorewall with very few ports open (ssh , ftp and web) .
> Can someone help us in how to looking for the source of the attack ?

Another szenario:
It's not uncommon to have FTP configured with the same uid as the webserver
so you might want to check if your FTP maybe gives access to every user
in /etc/passwd. There you maybe have one that had an easy to guess password
(nagios:nagios or admin:admin) which you thought to be safe as you use
ssh's AllowUsers...

bye,

-christian-