Re: qmail or postfix

Gary Smithe wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone for the responses.  It confirms that I want
to move to postfix.  We're currently using vpopmail with qmail.
Qmail is a very nice product. Many, like us, use BOTH postfix and Qmail. I'm not sure you have to switch from qmail to postfix, if you have some success with Qmail. In fact, the bad product is vpopmail which is never needed. Inter7 advertise as if it was needed to have virtual domain, in fact, it's not, qmail supports virtual domain out of the box.

Our software for web hosting (dtc) is compatible with both postfix and qmail. I use Postfix when I want to do the setup very fast, and qmail when I want everything to be secured (for my own shared box, not for the customer's VPS). All we did is using a MySQL database, and then generate the config files. What you could do is get our software, try with qmail with few (fake) domains, and then dpkg-reconfigure to use Postfix. You would then see the differences.

Anyway, if you really want to switch from qmail to postfix, you just need to inform Postfix of the path of each mailbox. Be careful and do some tries with Postfix first, as it's not as easy to understand/configure as Qmail is.
Does anyone have a pointer for the appropriate subsitute to work with postfix?
I don't think there are script to do the conversion. You will have to do it "by hand".
We only provide pop3 access, not imap or anything else.  I've seen
several references to courier, so it seems that's the path I need to
take.
You could as well consider Dovecot that is a very nice (fast and secure) pop3/imap server.
Any web resources or scripts that can assist with moving from vpopmail
to ??? with postfix will be greatly appreciated.

I've poked around with google a bit, but haven't found anything that's
dead obvious for what I need.  I think a chunk of it is me needing to
research the difference between what qmail (or postfix) does and what
vpopmail (or courier ot ??? does).
As I just said before, you can have a try with our control panel and see what changes...
I understand most of this should probably post to the postfix list,
but I figured I'd pick the Debian brains first :-).
Hum... not sure about that, but I think here it's ok ! :)
BTW, I'll be using sarge, as I like stable (if anything else, it's
wonderfully boring).
Sarge is just perfect. Good luck !

   Thomas Goirand, GPLHost LLC Manager