Re: qmail or postfix

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:12:54AM -0600, Gary Smithe wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I work at a small ISP with a few dozen email hosted domains.
>
> Our primary server is a redhat box running qmail and vpopmail.
>
> I'd like to switch to a debian box, but have a question that hopefully
> someone can help with.
>
> >From what I've read, qmail and its tools break several Linux
> conventions, so I'd like to go to postfix.
>
> Here's the question:
>
> What are your opinions of qmail / vpopmail (i.e. should I even switch
> from them)?
> If I do switch, what is the best replacement for vpopmail (where I can
> use maildir's and copy the contents from the old mail server to the
> new)?

FWIU, courier-mta's setup is similar to qmail's. There is a
compatability setting for the dot files in each user's home dir.

The Debian maintainer is active on the courier-user's list.

As most people will say, we run <X> and and like it. For me,
X=courier-mta.

AFAIK, the main feature postfix has the courier doesn't is the ability
to modify headers at the mail filter stage (during SMTP, before
maildrop).