Accounting LPR usage

(This message could be a bit OT for the list, but since there is a lot of
people expert to "shape" users i try to post it anyway ...)
We bought (for an university lab) a new printer since the older was worn.
The problem is that the old was a 12 ppm one, and the new one is a 60 ppm
one. The result is that from an average of 3500 print per week the usage
skyrocketed to 6000 per week, and so the toner costs !!!
We have also noticed that (and some user admitted too) many people tend to
print a lot of stuff, inclusive to print a 30 page chapter just to look
how it appeared on paper, sayiiung thbat if he had been used the older
printer had print just a couple of page, to avoid waiting too much time.
Also people form other department sneaking into terminals left open get
quick prints.
At present the printer is connected (via LPR interface) to a win2000
server that accept prints only from selected users.
I have no problem to use a linux server (there are two of them with the
full user database osed forr all services but print server).
I wish to know a way to be able to count the numer of prints send by a
single user so i can disable the access if the number exceeds a certain
theshold.
It is not a problem even using an old computer just for that service, it
it serves to "shape" users habits.
The printer (HPCLJ5550N) accepts either PCL or PS, the WS used are all
win XP or Win2k
Can someone help me ?

--
Leonardo Boselli