Re: Recommendations for server, 2 take

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:51:59AM -0800, Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:
> First thing I do is move /tmp and /var/tmp to a partition that's
> mounted noexec.
>
> Too many sloppy PHP apps. Worms drop things in /tmp and run them from
> there.

BTW, if you forgot to create a spare partition for /tmp, and you have a
decent amount of RAM you can use tmpfs for this. just add the following
to /etc/fstab:

tmpfs    /tmp        tmpfs    size=512M,noexec    0       0
tmpfs    /var/tmp    tmpfs    size=256M,noexec    0       0

if you don't have enough RAM, then add more. it's cheap. and it's the
best way of speeding up your system if your system is disk I/O-bound
(e.g. web, mail, database servers) rather than CPU-bound (e.g. games,
graphics, number crunching).

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)