Re: multiple hostnames

Michael Loftis wrote:

> --On January 25, 2006 2:07:57 PM -0500 Chris Knadle
> <Chris.Knadle@coredump.us> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 25 January 2006 13:40, Rodney Richison wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to have debian answer the second interface card with a
>>> differant hostname?  I've got a gentleman that'd like to have me
>>> secondary as backup dns under his "private" label so to speak.
>>>
>>> ie 1 network address on eth0 and another on eth1, both using the same
>>> bind.
>>

>>    This sounds to me like a job for either A) a chrooted environment
>> B) a virtual machine or C) a different machine.
>>

> Not sure why you'd need any of these three, or even why anyone would
> need an additional address just for DNS.  It's a silly requirement.

I think what he wants is simply to put ns3.customersdomain.com
and have the machine look, for all purpose's as it is his machine. ..
Having the same data is not an issue "as far as I'm concerned".  Would
just rather not have another machine simply to have it have "his"
hostname when it answered...

I'm beginning to wonder what the point is...         Oh well, if it's
rather trivial to setup, I will.

What I don't want, is for dnsstuff or whatever to say, "machine claims
to be ns1.rcrnet.net when the registrar says it's ns3.customerdomain.com."

--
Highest Regards,

Rodney Richison
RCR Computing