Re: [Fwd: RE: reverse dns]

--On January 22, 2006 9:39:58 PM -0600 Rodney Richison <rodney@rcrcomputing.com> wrote:

Below, you will see a reply from ATT when asked for reverse dns. As I
see it, I need to provide reverse dns for myself. (Birch telecom did
this for me before...)

I have tried all day long to get this working and it has thoughly kicked
my butt! ha

The below does not seem to work. ns1.rcrnet.net still refers you to the
root which results in a loop.

Firstly they have delegation that's different than yours, make sure they match either use the delegation that you setup earlier, or ask them to change their delegation records. Second, make sure you're using the right zone. If you use dig against ATT's NS for that zone you'll see that they have setup a standard sub delegation since you don't have an entire /24, just a small chunk. ATT is apparently redirecting the queries to 192/26.224.5.12.in-addr.arpa. as per standards with a CNAME, so your zone should be 192/26.224.5.12.in-addr.arpa. and your PTRs should take the form of 222.192/26.224.5.12.in-addr.arpa. . -- also note that having multiple PTRs for the same IP often breaks things, I'm not sure if that's in an RFC or anything but mos thtings make the assumption one IP one PTR and one name for the rDNS mapping. Forward mapping you can have multiples and that's totally allowed and accepted (IE many A records referring to the same IP).

12.5.224.rev
$ttl 300
224.5.12.in-addr.arpa.    IN    SOA    ns1.rcrnet.net.
rodney.rcrcomputing.com. (
            2006012203
            10800
            3600
            604800
            300 )
224.5.12.in-addr.arpa.    IN    NS    ns1.rcrnet.net.
222.224.5.12.in-addr.arpa.    IN    PTR    ns2.rcrnet.net.
218.224.5.12.in-addr.arpa.    IN    PTR    lists.rcrnet.net.
222.224.5.12.in-addr.arpa.    IN    PTR    mail.channelvar.com.
224.5.12.in-addr.arpa.    IN    NS    ns2.rcrnet.net.
224.5.12.in-addr.arpa.    IN    NS    ns1.macrollc.com.
224.5.12.in-addr.arpa.    IN    NS    ns2.macrollc.com.