Re: restrict a root login via ssh to read-only fs access?

Hello,

I've no direct answer to your question, but I'm using a quite similar
setup for my backup, and I tried another approach to increase security.

What you're doing is issuing the rdiff-backup command on the backup
destination machine and pulling the data from the source machine. I
found it useful to do it the other way round: I've put a cron job on the
source machine which invokes rdiff-backup to push its data to the
destination machine.

Disadvantage: the rdiff-backup --server command needs write access. Big
advantage: it only needs access to the backup directory, and not to the
whole machine.

So I can use
'ssh %s /usr/sbin/chroot /store/rdiff nice rdiff-backup --server'
as the remote schema.

Of course, you need a proper jail configuration in /store/rdiff for it
to work. I used jailtool to set this up. If you're interested, I could
provide the rdiff.jail config file for it.

Greets,
  Claus

--
CHECON   EDV-Consulting und Redaktion
         Claus Herwig * Barer Straße 70 * 80799 München