Re: ide problems?

Dave Watkins wrote:
Oh it does, it'll catch a failing drive about 20-30% of the time (from
someone who works in a returns department)

Michael Loftis wrote:

--On January 9, 2006 10:20:07 PM -0500 Dan MacNeil <dan@thecsl.org>
wrote:

I had similar errors, ignored them for 24 hours and then wowed our users
with 24 hours of downtime restoring from backup. It was the drive.

apt-get install smartmontools

...may allow the hard drive to tell you that is failing.

Never have I seen S.M.A.R.T. predict nor provide any hint of an
impending failure.  Usually the first signs were the DMA failures, all
the while SMART reporting everything A/OK, and no errors logged until
just before they finally died, then it'd usually log some.

Thanks for all your suggestions!