Re: Pop working, sendmail acting strange.

This one time, at band camp, Scott Mohnkern said:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
> >This one time, at band camp, Scott Mohnkern said:
> >>
> >>However, sendmail will only take connections if you telnet to localhost
> >>or 127.0.0.1, if you use the ip address, or the hostname, it refuses the
> >>connection.
> >
> >I assume that sendmail is only listening on localhost.  Use netstat to
> >confirm.  If this is the case, you'll need to instruct sendmail to
> >listen on the IP addresses you would like it to listen on.
> >
> Bingo!  I moved the configuration to default, and  now it's taking
> outside mail.  However now it's rejecting inside mail.  Is there a line
> I need to add to the sendmail.mc file to fix this?

'Inside' and 'outside' mail is a little unclear - you mean it is no
longer accepting mail from localhost?  That doesn't sound like a
'default' config to me.

Assuming I have guessed right, you'll want something like the following:
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet,  Name=MTA-v4, Port=smtp')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet,  Name=MSP-v4, Port=submission, Addr=127.0.0.1')dnl

(these should not wrap)

They go in sendmail.mc, and then you'll want to rebuild sendmail.cf from
them.

I highly recommend picking up a copy of the bat book if you are going to
admin sendmail.  It is a very complicated beast, and having a good
reference makes a lot of difference.