Re: monitoring servers

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Walhalla wrote:
> ok - but i think we missunderstood - i need something to check
> remote services not services on local machines. services not in that

Hmm, why not use Net SNMP then? It lets you plug basically *anything* you
need locally to inspect stuff, and publish it over SNMP.  And *all* good
remote monitoring softwares can do SNMP.

> way if a proc is running - it is enought if the corresponding port is
> open/running -> server ist up & running.

That is not good enough a test in my experience, but if that's all you need,
even socat can be used to create a quick script to check for open ports.
And nagios has a TCP connect test you can use very easily, too.

I know from experience that if you are monitoring a web server, you NEED to
send it a http request and check for the reply if you want to know whether
the service is really up and how responsive it is.  For email, you need a
full roundrip check (send - receive), etc.   A TCP connect won't tell you if
the application behind the open port is working (or overloaded and thus not
providing new services, etc).

  Henrique Holschuh