Re: Website Backups using "rsync via FTP"

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 03:35, Victor Rodriguez Cortes wrote:
> 	Hello!
>
> 	I have an external website that I must backup everyday. It has around 350MB
> of data, so I would like to use something like rsync to reduce my internet bandwith
> use, but I only have ftp and web access.
>
> 	Is there anyway to emulate "rsync" using just ftp?

In theory, you can do rsync like updates using any protocol that
supports ranged gets, provided you can put or generate signature files
on the server along with the files. The algorithm is an inverted rsync
algorithm, with the signatures coming from the server, and the delta
calculated on the client.

I believe zsync does this over http. I have heard of people using cgi's
to generate/serve the signature from the http server, though I'm not
sure if zsync does it this way.

http://zsync.moria.org.uk/

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>