Problems with exim and courier imap

hello

i'm facing a serious problem. I configured exim with Maildir support saving
all mails to /var/mail...

Before i worked saving mails to $HOME/Maildir, the home directory of each
user. This worked fine with the configuration of courier imap.

Now i want to save all mails to /var/mail to have better environment for
backups. But how do i configure courier to work this directory. By default
it is using a variable Maildir which is directed to the home directory of
the users. In the imapd config there is a variable MAILDIRPATH which i set
MAILDIRPATH=/var/mail
but it is not included in the startup process of courier. I just ask me what
it is for then.

Can anybody help out please?

Thanks in advance

Carsten