Re: Squid + Windows Update

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 16:34 -0500, Alex Borges wrote:
> Consider the following:
>
> a) A firewall+squid proxy that serves a large network
> b) Mostly windows clients
> c) Proxy listens in port 3128, windows hosts are configured by hand to
> use the proxy, the firewall forbids forwarding to all the clients,
> thus forcing them to use the proxy.

Note that there are ways to make windows boxes auto-detect your proxy;

http://wiki.debian.net/?ProxyAutodetectConf

> Has anyone noticed:
>
> a) Some newer windows update programs cannot seem to pickup on the
> fact that they have a proxy configured

No, I haven't noticed this.

> b) In the event of you using one of these, tcpdump shows the hosts
> attempting direct connections to servers outside on port 80?

Yes, I have seen this, but usually it is some application that needs to
have the proxy set manually. There are still quite a few programs that
don't use the IE proxy settings.

> I think microsoft finally farked squid up for good in this kind of
> setting.

I'm not sure if the various auto-detect stuff will tell these to use the
proxy when a manual-setting won't.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/