Re: IP Accounting on Linux

Hello Andrew

On 2005-02-25 andrew wrote:
> I would like to monitor the amount of traffic from each of my internal
> addresses, as an additional method of discovering problems - like viruses,
> etc.
>
> I can do this with ipac-ng, but I have a really bad feeling including
> 2x 1000( ip addresses) into the filter rules for IP tables.

Try looking for NetFlow which is an accounting system invented by Cisco
but also available on Linux (fprobe, flow-tools, pmacct, ntop, nprobe).
It scales very good and can be used by small sites as well as to bill all
customers on a mid scale ISP.

Another solution which although is just sample based and thus not absolutely
exact is sflow (www.sflow.org).

Both do not run out of the box after installing the packages but they
are supported by many switch/router vendors in case you want to expand.

bye,

-christian-