port 994

Hi All,

I am not understanding this. When I run a nmap localhost, it tells me port 994 and 988 are open. I do not know why, and I cannot seem to find it... Maybe the brute-force ssh cracking guys came through? I cannot imagine, my box doesn't 'look' compromised, and I have hard to guess passwords. Also, when I see these guys in my logs (I use logcheck hourly) I block their IP's quite quickly in /etc/hosts.deny.

Anyone any suggestions on how to find out which process is opening up these ports? I guess it is some fancy netstat option... I read the manpage but boy this is complicated (and I run Linux for 10 yrs now...)

Thanx!

Pim

# nmap localhost

Starting nmap 3.75 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2005-02-21 20:45 CET
Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
(The 1648 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
25/tcp   open  smtp
80/tcp   open  http