Re: Mail : quota or not quota ? and how to ?

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Emmanuel Halbwachs wrote:

1. Quota or not quota ?

To my mind, the pros :

- some indelicate users won't block some delicate ones

If a disk fills mail will tmpfail so a user don't lose mail if another user fills the disk, as long as it is cleaned in a reasonable amount of time. OTOH, a full disk will precent the sending of mail. Many MUAs (mail user agents) only point this out after you've tried to send.

and cons :

- If a user goes on holidays and receive a lot of useless mail (spam,
 jokes from friends with giant MS powerpoint attachement) and

Have a reasonable maximum file size for delivery. Email is a terrible way to send large files anyway thanks to the encoding that is needed for the attachments. Businesses these days often want 50 or 100MB file limits 5-10MB is better.

 reaches his quota, some useful mail will be bounced as the
 housework cannot be done by this off-line user

The solution to this may be to allow a smallish soft limit with a large hard limit and a grace period long enough to surive the holiday break of most employees. Allowing for a large hard limit and a long grace period does somewhat mitigate the advantages of quotas in the first place though.

An alternative may be to allow a largish hard limit all the time, with users on a fairly short grace period (say 7 days) but extend the grace period when someone is on leave. This would require interfacing with the HR dept and making sure the procedures were followed. This way the email is kept while they are on leave but they must cleanup when they return.

- spending endless time to administer quota and discussing with users
 "I am a power user, I need more space than this user", "I am in a
 hurry, don't have time to do housework, but I need to receive
 urgent mail", etc.

Get the backing of management to make this a solid policy. Eg, the person's department head must authorize an extension of quota.

2. How to implement quota the best way (and the easy way on Debian) ?

The xfs filesystem is often considered to have a superior quota system to other filesystems on Linux.

I don't know how mail quota is implemented.

Just quota whichever filesystem the users store their mail files on. They may have their inbox in /var/mail and their other folders in $HOME, sojust quota /var & /home.

Ideally, I would like thoses features :

- a soft and hard limits

Absolutely. I'd see this as essential. Have the system notify you and them when they are over the soft quota. Debian has tools that does this.

- when over the soft limit, user can receive mail but not send

I think this is a bad idea from a business point of view and from the point of view of being useful.

If you impede their ability to do their work you will get a very bad reaction from them.

- users are well noticed, whatever the MUA is. A information mail
 seems to me the best way. Perhaps one notice each time the user tries
 to send mail

I would avoid this. The standard tools send 1 email per day by default alerting the user to the problem.

- when over the hard limit, user can't receive mail, and is noticed

Be default mail will perm fail when they are over the hard limit (or over the soft limit once the grace period is over).

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.