Debian in a production environment

Hi all,

One question I have is: is it possible to run a debian box if i have to run proprietary software on it?

I have a compaq proliant box running with debian in a production environment and sometimes I consider switching to fedora because most proprietary software (data bases, J2EE application servers, etc.) provides linux support only for redhat and suse -- and I'm not always free to choose Postgres and JBoss).

I dont know If I run into real trouble when sticking to debian (but my heart says "do it!" ;-).

Now I want to collect some thoughts and experiences.

Greetings
Dirk