Re: Debian Woody on HP DL380 G4

Hello,

peace bwitchu a écrit :
I am about to upgrade some servers that are currently
running woody on pc class machines to brand new HP
DL380
G4's.  Can Debian Woody be installed on these new
machines

Note : My experience is on ML350 G3 only (with hardware RAID
smart array 641).

Woody should install with Matt Taggart's updated boot floppies for HP servers :

  http://people.debian.org/~taggart/boot-floppies/

It is based on a 2.4.25 kernel with :

- tg3 (for giga ethernet NIC)
- cciss driver that support smart array 6xx

As well, have a look at :

  http://people.debian.org/~taggart/proliant/

or will I have to wait for Sarge to be released as stable.

With debian-installer RC2 :

the sarge install was straigtforward on ML350 G3 (kernel 2.4.27).

Then, woody or sarge, you might want to install the HP drivers
to avoid fans running at high speed all the time and have the
failure notification in your syslog. Unfortunately, those drivers
are only distributed in RPM for RedHat and Suse. This script is
great help to install the RedHat RPM on woody :

  http://www.sk-tech.net/support/HPrpm2deb.sh.html

I did two adjustements, though :

- before running the script, replace :

        update-rc.d cmastor start 28 S . stop 80 1 .

      by :

        update-rc.d cmastor start 71 S . stop 80 1 .

  28 is too early in the start process and cmastor doesn't start
  well. 71 is better.

- add a /etc/logrotate.d/cmastor file to have the
  /var/spool/compaq/cma.log file rotated

To run this script on sarge, you have to pick this in the old
libs archive :

# wget http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/egcs1.1/libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1_2.91.66-4_i386.deb
# dpkg -i libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1_2.91.66-4_i386.deb

One thing I didn't got working is the snmp server with HP/Compaq MIB.
I am looking to use syslog to send snmp traps in case of hardware
failure.

Hope this helps,

--
Emmanuel Halbwachs              Labo. de Photonique et Nanostructures
tel      : (+33)1 69 63 61 34                             CNRS UPR 20