Re: Debian Woody on HP DL380 G4

On Thursday 03 February 2005 18:26, peace bwitchu wrote:

> I am about to upgrade some servers that are currently
> running woody on pc class machines to brand new HP
> DL380 G4's.  Can Debian Woody be installed on these new

I'm not very familiar with HP hardware yet but I know the G4 that I've worked
on comes with onboard hardware raid.  The 2.4.21 kernel from SuSe Enterprise
server 8 does not support the raid controller ... G3 raid controller is 5i
and works (cciss driver), G4 is 6i and does not work with that kernel.  I
expect there would also be issues with the ethernet but I can't recall that
for sure.

There are people who have prepared custom boot CDs for Dell servers, I expect
someone may have put out custom CDs for these HPs.  I wouldn't bother though,
sarge should be close to release, even if not it's a stable enough target
that I wouldn't consider using woody anymore.  All of my new installs are
sarge based, so long as you keep a non-critical machine around to test
upgrades on you should be fine.

P.S. Though I ended up using SuSe Enterprise 9 on the G4 I did a quick install
of sarge on it since it's by far my favorite installer (and distro), I don't
recall any problems.
--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/