Re: 95th percentile billing tools

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:58:08AM -0800, Radhika wrote:
>     We are an ISP company and we want to bill our customers using 95th
>    percentile bandwidth graph.
>
>    Can you please suggest some tools which would do this i know RTG would
>    do this other thank this any other tools would be great.

I've ended up having to write my own each time I've approached this.
It's not hard.

Cacti can produce graphs with a 95th percentile line / legend
suitable for giving customers an *idea* of what they're going to be
billed, but you can't use that directly for billing because the RRD
will probably not keep all results for a month.

Usually the weekly, monthly, yearly graphs are generated by
summarising and averaging out the info from the 5-minute data, so
you are losing info and that isn't acceptable when you're billing
someone from it.  For example, a typical RRD will keep 24 hours of 5
minutes results but prior to that the results will be 30 minute
averages of the 5 minute ones.

So personally I just make sure I have an RRD or other database that
will hold a month of unaltered 5 minute or 1 minute samples and then
keep that updated and bill from that.

Regards,
Andy