Re: monitoring servers - solved

hi all,
thx a lot for this many responses! the only tip, which was new to me and i havn't seen yet was "argus". and i think this is exactly this what i was looking for!

my first review:
- installed and running after 10 min.
- configuration for the first testserver 3 min. (one configuration file. AND: argus checks for changes itself - so nobody can forget to reload cfg :)))
- simple webinterface (user/group-support)
- making a simple webinterface to change/add data to cfg should be very easy (my xmas-job ;)

summa summarum: it's worth to have a look at it, if you search a simple "watchdog"/monitor and want to use your time for other (better?! ;) things than getting reading cfg-manuals to run a simple server monitor.

so - thanks a lot for all the advices/ideas! and special thanks to "jack", who send the beautyfull link to argus (http://argus.tcp4me.com). if you would be near to me, i would invite you to the "weihnachtsmarkt" to have some cups of "gluehwein"! :)))

in case, we don't read something in the next days: merry xmas and a happy new year to all!

jens

jack wrote:
Walhalla wrote:

hi,
one question: what software do you use to monitor your servers? i don't want this big things with snmp, load, disks ... only services like http, smtp, pop. it should take less resources, be simple (webbased preferred) and send email if service/host is down.

thx for tips!

jens

have you checked out argus? Its config is simlar to nagios, but much less complicated. It does the job just fine though!

http://argus.tcp4me.com/