Re: Am I Compromised -- Some interesting findings

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 04:56:53PM +0000, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> >Please suggest me what more should I look for and how to tackle this
> >attack.
>
> The sensible way forward is to rebuild the machine, although you may
> want to preserve some of it for analysis. I wouldn't trust the machine
> again.

And when you rebuild, make sure to make /tmp a separate partition, and mount
it noexec,nosuid,nodev.

You could do the same with /var/lib/tmp or /var/tmp.

That will make it much harder for an attacker to execute whatever they upload
to your box.

Bye for now,
Ward.

--
Pong.be         -( "In my opinion M$ is a lot better at making money than  )-
Virtual hosting -(    it is at making good operating systems." -- Linus    )-