Re: Am I compromised -- More information

Ritesh,

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:

> Even after I stop my webserver, I get the perl process to be chewing up 99%
> of my cpu cycles.
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> 28390 www-data  25   0  5760 3812 3444 R 99.4  0.7  48:18.85 perl
>
> If there's no /usr/sbin/httpd, how is the process running ?

I've seen this before when a PHP script (among other major possible
security issues on a Webserver) has been used to execute another local
process.

Use lsof to see what files/ports/etc the program has open:

$ lsof -p 28390

I suspect that you'll find it listening on a TCP port, waiting for
commands, or simply providing a login shell to any incoming telnet
connection. :(

If so, your server has been compromised and you'll need to consider that
they may have also used a rootkit/local root exploit to obtain elevated
privileges on your machine.

Regards,
Iain