Re: protecting against exploiting mail forms

Intersting idea from those guys who make spams. But here we go ;D

I think that if you strip carriage returns (\r) and liefeed (\n) from the fields may help, don't you agree?

Try this one, and, please, report what happened.

Good luck.

Marek Podmaka wrote:

Hello,

 recently one of our customers had a badly written php script for
 mail form and someone exploited this to send some spam. It is
 exploited by injecting entire mail (with additorial recipients) to
 From field - when script doesn't take care of additorial new lines.

 Detailed description of this attack can be found here:
 http://www.anders.com/cms/75/Crack.Attempt/Spam.Relay

 Is there any general solution? I was thinking about using
 mod_security, but I'm not sure which string to block - not to cause
 any false positives. The problem is I don't know form field's name,
 so I can test only value. Would "\nTo: " or "\nBcc: " be a good
 choice?

--
Atenciosamente,
Luiz Felipe de souza Gomes