Re: bandwidth dimensioning

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:37:34 +0100, Michelle wrote in message
<[🔎] 20051114183734.GJ20586@freenet.de>:

> Again,
>
> Which WaveLAN system do you use ?
>
> I have some Lucent ORINOCO COR1100 and ROR1100 as Out-Door-Router
> which Do Traffic Shaping per $USER.  Because Lucent has stoped the
> production this Wonderfull WaveLAN system, you can get it used on
> <http://www.ebay.com/> for around 300-500 US$ including two 11MBit
> Gold-Cards.
>
> I have bought more then 70 boxes currently and installing it in
> Morocco Marrakech/Meknes/Fes.
>
> On the other side I am testin the Proxim Tsunami MP.11a as Out-Door
> Router and the 5000 US$ are a realy good investment, but only usefull
> if you use an E2 (8,4 Mbit) or an E3 (34 MBit).
>
> Calculate the required ISP bandwidth with
>
> $USERS < 50     kBit/USER * $USERS * 0,25
>
> $USERS > 50     kBit/USER * $USERS * 0,10

..when you sell this kinda service to end users, phase them in so slowly
that the early ones get their disks filled up and slow down, to make
bandwidth space for the next batches, or charge for traffic too, as
newbie-on-fat-pipes likes to download all sortsa junk to stuff their
disks.  Traffic averages then drops to about "ISDN", IME.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: