Re: Recommendations for new server model?

also sprach annpost@can.no <annpost@can.no> [2005.11.11.2231 +0100]:
> I'm looking for SCSI raid (mirroring), one processor (around 3.0 to 3.2
> GHz), around 2 gigabyte RAM.

Why bother with SCSI? Get yourself a RAID1 or RAID5 based on SATA
and save money.

> Has anyone built a server recently that worked? I understand that
> raid controllers change often, so any new installation info would
> be valuable. This will be our first Debian server, so we're
> starting at zero with regards to compatibility.

I don't believe in RAID controllers. Linux software RAID works just
fine, and if you get two independent SATA controllers, you are
saving more money for the same result.

> I'm in Norway, and I've already eliminated HP and Fujitsu-Siemens
> servers for various reasons (not related to Debian).

thomas-krenn.com looks pretty decent. I am going to order one with
them, I think. IBM is just too expensive (about 200%).

`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"they redundantly repeated themselves over and over,
 incessantly without end and ad infinitum"
                                                             -- ibid