How to give users ftp access to their sites safely

I have all user directories under /home/users. All web sites are
under /home/http/. I use the chroot function in proftp to ensure
that anyone ftp'ing in to the machine only has access to their
personal directory.

The problem is that some users need ftp access to their web sites
also. Symbolic links don't work because the link refers to something
outside the chroot root. So, I did a mount --bind for each user to
the web site they needed to access. This results in about 30 mounted
directories, problems on backup, and funky displays when I try to
issue the df command to see how much space I have. I can work around
all of these, but . . .

I'm sure there is a much better way. I don't mind changing the
directory structure around if I need to.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rod

--
Meddle not in the Affairs of Dragons
    for thou art crunchy, and good with catsup.