Re: PPP & CHAP: Clarification

> 3) An example of a typical chat script is as follows:
> #
> # Static modem response strings.
> #
> ABORT    BUSY
> ABORT    "NO CARRIER"
> ABORT    VOICE
> ABORT    "NO DIALTONE"
> #
> # Send the modem training command and set the defaults.
> # A slow response indicates a modem malfunction.
> #
> TIMEOUT    3
> ''     AT
> OK    ATZ
> #
> # Perform the dialup: Connecting may take some time.
> #
> TIMEOUT    90
> OK    ATDT898-2910
> CONNECT    ''
> #
> # Wait for some indication that things are working
> # from the ISP to insure PPP has enough time to begin execution.
> #
> # Note: "Sign-on:"  is sent by AT&T Worldnet just before
> # it begins PPP negotiations.
> #
> TIMEOUT 8
> Sign-on:     \d\c
>
> Note that it is important to wait for the remote system to start up PPP
> before beginning PPP negotiations.
> The CHAP authentication will occur during PPP negotiations.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Paul R.

 Hello Paul,
I would reccomend this chatscript (after inserting the telephone
number):

  $ cat /etc/chatscripts/provider
  ABORT   'ERROR'

  TIMEOUT 5

  ''      atz
  tz      \c
  OK-atz-OK-atz-OK \c

  ABORT   'BLACKLISTED'
  ABORT   'BUSY'
  ABORT   'DELAYED'
  ABORT   'NO ANSWER'
  ABORT   'NO CARRIER'
  ABORT   'NO DIALTONE'
  #ABORT  'RING'
  ABORT   'VOICE'

  ''      atd<the telephone number>
  atd<the telephone number>   \c

  TIMEOUT 120

  CONNECT \d\c

Some modems say "NO CARRIER" when disconnecting, but don't send it
through the serial port when DTR is lowered. Then when starting a
new session, rising DTR, it do sends that text which make chat to
abort if you have the abort line as it is usually. When talking to
the modem (not dialling), I'm only interested in the OK or the ERROR.

One usb-modem (using the acm module), only outputs (in echo mode) tz
when given atz the first time.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data               karl@aspodata.se
Lilla Aspö 2340                                                Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar          +46  173 140 57                   Computers
Sweden                     +46  70 511 97 84                 Consulting