gethostbyname over dialup ip/ppp

Dear User Group:

I am able to make a  IP/PPP connection using a dialup modem.
During the process I am assigned a dynamic  IP address.
When I attempt to use gethostbyname()
to perform DNS resolution it fails. I think this
must be fixable by using  "route"  appropriately.

My system  also has a direct IP connection
via  a gateway address in a Netopia router.

I tried making my assigned dynamic IP address the default gateway as
follows:
"route add default gw  XXX"   where XXX is my dynamic  IP
address.  This allows  me to ping over the modem but
has some problems.  First,  it disables use of my direct IP connection.
Second, I can't figure out how to delete the extra default
gateway.

Is there some common solution for this kind of problem ?

Best Regards,

Paul R.

--
Paul Romero