Re: Sarge SMTP Performance / hints about tg3/bcm5700

Hi!

> above but now it is only with 10%. This may be due to further bugs in
> the tg3 driver that hopefully a new kernel will fix - if not then I
> must fill a bug report and send it to the driver developers, it can

I would try the bcm5700 driver from broadcom's website, if installing a
sk98lin or e1000 is no option. They have an GPL'd Version, but please do
not open a discussion about firmware files which are only available in
binary form. This "BLOB" firmware was removed by Debian's Kernel masters
since 2.6.5 .. 7  .... or so (Note: The "vanilla" kernel form kernel.org
includes the BLOB!)

There is also a "bcm5700-source" .deb package in non-free (at least in
sid) but this is Version 7.3.5 while broadcom's upstream source is 8.x
since some weeks. Please also note that you can patch bcm5700 into the
kernel while keeping tg3, so you can play with both. I cannot tell you
anything about the non-GPL driver broadcom offers.

All this took me some time to figure out, so I take this opportunity to
post it, so the SE can index it.... ;)

rgds,
Andreas