Re: Blade server recommendations?

I have access to some IBM BladeCenters where I work, but they are using
Red Hat.  They work pretty well.  Disk performance sucks due to those
laptop drives, but they work.

>  1. Will it run Debian 3.1?

As long as you can get network drivers for it, it's good.

>  2. Heartbeat - no serial cables.

I don't know about the HP/Compaq models, but the IBM's have a shared
backplane which is accessible via a second Ethernet interface for each
blade.  So, you can get your OOBM or heartbeat off of that.  Also useful
for clustering communications.

>  3. HP, IBM/Intel or someone else?

Too bad RLX isn't making hardware any more.  They were pretty good.  I
worked on a lot of those.

And while you didn't ask, and I hate to say it; with the exception of
web hosting, 90%+ of all blade server implementations that I see are
unjustifiable.  They could have used a couple of 1Us, or didn't need
multiple systems at all.

People get sold on blade servers through things like "they save rack
space", "it will save money because we need 14 new servers", "they are
more reliable", "they are easy to cluster", "less power", or something
else.  But really, I get the impression that most businesses that buy
blade server chassis did it because they thought they looked cool or
they gold sold on it by some sales guy.

There are some good uses for blade server chassis implementations out
there, but I don't see many in practice.

Just thought I would rant there for a second.  Don't mind me.  =)

--
# Jesse Molina
# Mail = jesse@opendreams.net