Re: Blade server recommendations?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 08:18:58 -0400
Ward Vandewege <ward@pong.be> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 12:50:55PM +0200, James Flinton wrote:
> > I have read that HP support Woody on their servers, although this
> > article was dated 2002.
>
> Well - HP certainly does NOT support Debian officially on their
> (blade) servers. I've had a brief conversation at Linuxworld, and then
> an e-mail exchange with Andy Brown at HP about this.
>
> In my experience, most of the hardware is supported no problem (if you
> build a custom kernel). My issue with HP is their tendency for binary
> RPM-only software for monitoring the hardware. It's kind of important
> to see which drives are going to die in your raid array, and HP is not
> exactly forthcoming with the necessary software that also runs on
> Debian.

To be honest, I haven't trusted HP ever since they were bought out by
Compaq. (Oh, HP bought out Compaq instead of the other way around? I
hadn't noticed, considering it's now HP branded computers that we see
selling as cheap junk in the US $200 - 300 range.)

Hearing of HP RAID cards that use the cpqarrayd driver sends shivers
down my spine.

Just MHO,
Jacob