Re: lograte

martin f krafft wrote:

also sprach andrew <andrew@2sheds.de> [2005.05.12.1750 +0200]:
I have been looking for the last 2 days, and still haven't worked out why logrotate on a standard sarge installation rotates all files in /var/log. I have created a new log file in syslog that outputs to /var/log/local1.log. As I am using swatch to watch this file, I do not want it rotataed, but somehow logrotate still manages to rotate it. How do I turn off this feature in logrotate for this one file?!

It's not logrotate but /etc/cron.*/sysklogd which rotates the file.
Unfortunately I know of no way to disable it.

sysklog does its own rotation of all files referenced from
/etc/syslog.conf, and Debian is not using logrotate for those
because only the current solution allows the system to automatically
rotate any user-specified log files. This acclaimed feature is what
is biting you.
is this stupidity standard unix or is it a Debian "enhancement"?

now i understand why my custom logrotate rules for mail.log never worked correctly.

no reference to sysklog in "man logrotate" and there is no /usr/share/doc/logrotate/README.*