Re: Blade server recommendations?

James Flinton wrote:
Good afternoon,

We're looking to buy some blade servers, and wondered if anyone could
offer advice on which to buy or avoid?

I have read that HP support Woody on their servers, although this
article was dated 2002.
I have also read that Intel/IBM are pushing their "open" blade
architecure, and seem to be winning.

My primary concerns are:
 1. Will it run Debian 3.1?
 2. Heartbeat - no serial cables.
 3. HP, IBM/Intel or someone else?

Should a blade act like any other machine, and work out of the box, or
are there any particular things to watch out for? We don't want to use
binary drivers, thery're too much trouble.

As for heartbeat, we prefer to use serial connections for heartbeat,
rather than tcp/ip, but we have not seen any blades with serial
connections - do they even exist?

Any recommendations, on or off list would be welcomed.

Regards,
James Flinton

I've never use debian on Blade, but here is one with a serial port (even 2):
A39UXB2-9ABD2GDN-P
Sun Blade 2500 Workstation Sys Admin/Developer Promo model 1.6GHz, 2 * 1.6GHz UltraSPARC IIIi Processor with 1MB on-die L2 Cache, Sun XVR-100 Graphics Accelerator, 2GB DDR1 Memory (2 * 1GB DIMMS), 1 * 146GB 10Krpm SCSI Hard Disk, 1 * DVD-ROM/CD-RW, 1 * 10/100/1000 BaseT Ethernet port, 2 * Serial ports, 1 * Parallel port, 4 * USB1.1 ports, 3 * USB2.0 ports, 2 * IEEE1394a ports, 1 * 1394a/USB2.0 Combo Card, 1 * SmartCard Reader, 6 * PCI slots, Solaris 8 2/04 and Solaris 9 9/04 pre-installed

I will have it to the and of June, but I will have to install Solaris on it.

Artur
Kokoszka