Multiple IP devices.

I have an Debian system with the following two IP devices.

1) An Ethenet card--eth0--connected to a DSL modem
via a gateway address. (i.e. It has a static IP address.)

2)  A Dialup PPP connection--ppp0--established via modem
and /dev/ttyS0. (i.e. It has a dynamic IP address assigned
at the end of  IPCP negotiations.)

The PPP connection is configured such that it puts a default
route in the routing table.

The problem is that I can not send TCP packets to any
IP node except the ISP node connected to the modem.
(i.e. The first one on the periphery of the Internet)

Using the socket() and bind() calls I am able to coax
connect() to generate a TCP SYN packet with
the right IP address etc. but, it is still sent out over
/dev/eth0.  How does one force packets to be
sent over /dev/ppp0 without bringing down
/dev/eth0 ?

Best Regards,

Paul R.

--