Re: Simple backups

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 03:27:15PM +0200, schnitzel meister wrote:
> Hello.
> I have lots of hosts running Sarge.
> The data on each of the hosts is generally in a defined location, the
> rest of the machine is the same.
>
> I would like to run a regular job on each host to create an archive of
> just these
> unique files, as defined by a file which might look like:
>
> /etc/postfix/
> /etc/someconfig.conf
>
> The archive would be collected by a remote scp nightly.
>
> I cannot find a package which does this task, I wondered if anyone
> could suggest one?
> If not, I'll write a script. Thanks.

Why scp? IMHO rsync is much better option. Or if you want full snapshot
backups (with history) for some dirs you can use (for example) dirvish
from Sarge. And I think it's better to request backup of whole dir
and define excludes for not needed files, than defining list of files
for backup - it's much easier to mantain and if you backup too much you
will loose some bandwith/disk space - in other case it might be painful
to discover you didn't backup those few important files which you have
created two days ago and forgot to add to your list...

Regards,
  Robert Tasarz