Re: Cyclades Router OS License

On Tue, 03 May 2005 10:04:56 -0300, Luiz wrote in message
<[🔎] 427776F8.3070907@grupocarvalho.com.br>:

> Hi list,
>
> my firm recently purchased a Cyclades Router and i had seen that the
> OS  that runs into the hardware is more expansive than the hardware
> itself.
>
> Cyclades' OS is a Linux. So, ins't Cyclades, by implications of GPL,
> forced to publish its sources ?

..by the terms of the GPL and copyright law, yes, to anyone they
distribute to.  The 2 easy ways is slap it onto their web site, or ship
it on a cd with their hardware, if they wanna keep it "secret."  ;o)

> I would like to make an OS for a router in my University's conclusion
> work, but I don't know the internals of an Router hardware, and i
> think  that the only way to know this is getting the source of an OS.

..uh?  Which router, which hardware, which router OS, which OS source?

..pls clarify _what_ you wanna do, so we can advice.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: