Re: netstat 1

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 05:05:39AM -0700, Rudi Starcevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one more FreeBSD to Debian question.
>
> This one has bugged me a little longer than systat.

Perhaps use the usual methods:
man/info
google
www.debian.org
www.tldp.org

I am not that familiar with FreeBSD, but I'm sure there are documents /
arcticles out there that describe these differences somewhere on the
web. These questions aren't specific for Debain, and certainly not ISP
related as such. I assume you are trying to get some information for
some monitoring / graphing software together.. Bgraph perhaps?

> On FreeBSD when looking for network output/usage I can issue this
> command: 'netstat 1'
>
> One line printed per second.
>
> This particular server is on a 100mbps hosting plan so we can see usage
> is currently about half.
>
> Is it possible to get similar output from Debian to quick calculate
> network output?

Your friend here is probably /proc. Most information can be found there.
I believe it's similar to the sysctl on FreeBSD, but I haven't used that
in about 4 years.

In particular you might find this helpful:
cat /proc/net/dev | grep eth0

That will print the number of bytes in and out.

These could also be used
netstat -i
ifconfig eth0

With a bit of grep and awk you can pull information from these commands.
I'm sure there are loads of others if you have a look at the above
mentioned sources.

--
Tor