Re: Install debian woody on HP 380 DL Proliant G4

Hello Jan,

Jan Novotný a écrit :
unfortunatelly, i didn't know Matt Taggart and his links before you sent me it. So, why i made my own bootfloppies? We got at my work new machine HP 380 DL. I had at this time the woody 3r01 release only, and this install CD doesn't support Compaq SmartArray 6i scsi controller.

Last year, I was trying to install woody on ML350 G3. I spend some
hours on doing my own custom boot-floppies with à kernel >= 2.4.24
(for the cciss driver). In the same time, Matt Taggart (a debian
developper who happen to be an HP employee) did his custom
boot-floppies. This save me many hours of try-and-error.

I did my best to advertise this work on debian-isp :

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-isp/2004/08/msg00124.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-isp/2004/08/msg00178.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-isp/2004/11/msg00194.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-isp/2005/02/msg00022.html

Now that your woody is installed, you should perhaps have a look at :

  http://www.sk-tech.net/support/HPrpm2deb.sh.html

or to the -sarge only- package :

  http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/cpqarrayd

in order to have logs/traps if anything fails.

I think Matt's work should be OK for your DL380 G4 and perhaps
would save your time.

I didn't try to use install in expertmode.
Usiing the right driver was the best way on lastweek.

Yes, I know what it is when you don't have time.

I thing that all people should place their know-how 'bout linux on the web.

This sounds very good and I totally agree.

Have a nice day,

--
Emmanuel Halbwachs              Labo. de Photonique et Nanostructures
tel      : (+33)1 69 63 61 34                             CNRS UPR 20