slow courierpop3d

Hello,

  I have a problem with courierpop3d accessing Maildir. For folder
  "cur" with ~300 messages with total size of 120 MB it takes more
  than 5 seconds - I see that in "top".

  The system is woody, courier packages also from woody - courier
  imap, imap/ssl, pop3, pop3/ssl and authmysql. Maildirs are on ext2
  partition. Kernel is 2.4.26, proc 1.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM... Firstly I
  thought it was because of number of files in that maildir... but
  using info in /proc/pid/fd I figured out the directory and there
  were only ~300 files. Why does does courier spend so much time
  reading that maildir?

     many thanks for any tips...

--
  bYE, Marki