Re: Wanted: Debian Friendly Hosting - UK (or USA)

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 03:35:05PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2005-03-05 13:52:15, schrieb Upayavira:
>
> > >Since when do they block networks ?
> >
> > Since they want to penalise the networks so that they don't accept
> > more spammers as clients.
>
> You mean DUL ?

no, DUL is for dynamic/dialup addresses.

> > From my impression, at least on some spam lists, it doesn't work
> > that way.
>
> I have already checkt whole IP-Blocks on sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org and they
> do not block whole networks. If you use some of this Servers which
> block whole networks, it is your fault...

more to the point: if you want to financially support a company that
is known to be a spam-haven, and then find that you can't send mail
to a significant percentage of the net because your ISP's netblocks
(including your server's IP address) are blacklisted, then THAT is your
fault.

many RBLs *DO* block entire networks because the owner does not take any
action against spammers on their network....and so they should - if an
ISP is knowingly making money from spammers, then they are just as bad
as the spammer.

and many people choose to use these RBLs because they believe that it
is an effective strategy for undermining the economic viability of both
spam AND spam support services....and because they don't want any mail
that is in any way associated with spammers.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)